Previous “English Proficiency” seminars:
1. Division of City Schools, Pasig City, October 2013 (Plain English seminar for English teachers)
2. Santolan High School, Pasig City, June 2014 (whole-day seminar on English Proficiency)
3. Sta. Lucia High School, Pasig City, December 2014 (4-Saturday seminar on English Proficiency)
4. Maybunga Elementary School, Annex, Pasig City, May 24, 2018 (whole-day seminar on English Proficiency)
1st picture - Mr. Christopher Santos, principal, addresses the participants; 2nd and 3rd pictures - participants work on the 290-plus interactive exercises that have been downloaded to their laptops, tablets, or smartphones.
5. Spurgeon School Foundation, Makati City, August 10, 2018 (whole-day seminar on English Proficiency)
6. National Museum, Intramuros, Manila, June 27, 2019 (whole-day seminar on Plain English style of writing)
7. Dela Paz High School, Pasig City, Metro Manila, August 31, 2019 (whole-day seminar on English Proficiency); photos below by Glearsean Francisco Samudio
|Free interactive exercises on English grammar, vocabulary, verbal analogy, and reading comprehension, with resources in writing (general, law, academic, business, science, journalism, etc.)|
More than 1,000 exercises (or 10,000 items) from Dropbox with time limit and automatic scoring; these exercises are meant for:
(1) English teachers in their classroom activities;
(2) high school students preparing for college entrance exams;
(3) for college graduates taking exams such as Civil Service, LET, NMAT, PhilLSAT, etc; and
(4) HRD staff of companies for evaluating language skills of job applicants.
A. For proficiency in spoken English, the seminar emphasizes what is known as the “Proprioceptive Language Learning Method” or simply “Feedback Training Method.” This method emphasizes the simultaneous training of the mind, ears, vocal cords, lips, tongue, jaw, and facial muscles in learning a language. (For more information, surf to “Spoken English Learned Quickly” website with content developed by Dr. Lynn Lundquist.
People do not learn to speak the English language by studying vocabulary and the rules of grammar. The best way in learning to speak English fluently and to learn grammar at the same time is by listening to and speaking grammatically-correct sentences.
The seminars emphasize three rules of learning how to speak English fluently:
1. You must speak English aloud.
2. You must think in English.
3. The more you speak English aloud, the more quickly you will learn to speak it fluently.
By using the “Spoken English Learned Quickly” materials, a person can learn to speak fluent conversational English in less than nine months. The materials, which can be downloaded free, include a 450-page Student Workbook (PDF) and 150-plus hours of MP3 lessons in British and American accents.
B. For proficiency in English reading and writing, the seminars provide the participants (1) an overview of the thousands of materials freely available on the Internet, (2) practice in reading some selected classic literature, and (3) hands-on activity with interactive exercises that have time limit and automatic scoring.
For seminars involving school teachers, I also teach them how to create their own interactive grammar exercises using a freeware from the University of Victoria in Canada.
C. Sequence of topics:
1. Profile of speaker (8 slides; 2.6 mb)
2. Improving your communications skills (62 slides; 20.96 MB)
Topics include: DepEd programs for English proficiency; expectations and goals; To learn English, you must have desire, self-discipline, and practice; assessment and diagnostics tests; DOST LEAP (Learning English Application for Pinoys); Spoken English Learned Quickly; Hope ESL; verb exercises; Daily Pronunciation videos; Learn English through CNN; VOA Learning English resources; The Chaos; Learning English through songs, movies, and pictures.
3. The wonders of reading (42 slides; 5.51 MB)
Topics include: The Power of Words video; How many English words do you need to know in order to communicate effectively?; free resources in reading and reading comprehension; download thousands of books from Bookboon; Read and listen to stories from young writers; Rewordify.com free program for increasing vocabulary and reading comprehension; The Rose; The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.
4. Clear and concise English for effective writing (109 slides; 18.63 MB)
Topics include: Plain English style of writing; guidelines for writing and editing in Plain English; classic rules for good writing.
5. Exercises from ADB Handbook (22 slides; 225.5 KB)
6. OECD exercises (36 slides; 1.1 MB)
7. Interactive exercises using the school’s available computers (or the laptops, tablets, or smartphones of the participants)
8. Output test for seminar participants
9. Answers to output test (9 slides; 1.1 MB)